PSQ Board Meeting Minutes 01/12/2011

PSQ Board Meeting 

Date: January 12, 2011 

Attendees: Tom Arbogast, Steve Baicker-McKee, Elizabeth McCracken, Joe Bevevino, Matt Green, Lafe Metz,  

Agenda:

  1. 2010 Buchanan Open Recap
    1. Budget Review
      1. In the black
    2. Outstanding Actions
      1. Scores need to be entered into US Squash (Carlos)
    3. Suggested Improvements / Lessons Learned
      1. Women’s Final – should be played on Sunday
      2. All Finals – should not be during the pro final
      3. Tournament Table – should station and man a table where players check-in, get court assignments and report scores
      4. Food & Drinks – both were thin, but especially the Gatorade
      5. Website – should add “helpdesk” contact info on event entrance/pay screen
      6. Late Entrants – should incentivize players to enter early through entrance cost
      7. Entrance Payment Methods – should re-consider methods, could incentivize players to use credit card or PayPal through the use of additional fee for checks
      8. Dates – were too close to Christmas, tournament should be earlier as in previous years (just before Thanksgiving)
      9. Price – With the increase, the price is now in line with other area tournaments
  2. 2010 Pittsburgh Open Recap
    1. Budget Review
      1. In the black
    2. Outstanding Actions
      1. None
    3. Suggested Improvements / Lessons Learned
      1. Proposed PSQ Roles
        1. Consider the proposed roles (Board)
        2. Solicit volunteer for each role as soon as possible (Board)
      2. Facilities
        1. Housing – guarantee housing for players, consider incentives for player hosts (such as special t-shirts)
      3. Events
        1. Overall a successful event with good food, sufficient number of drink tickets and 35-40 attendees
        2. Timing – should start earlier
        3. Advertising / Marketing – should increase advertisement and communication of event
        4. Ticket Sales – Sell tickets to event for people that are not players, player host or board members
      4. Officiating
        1. Should get a pro (not in tournament) to ref the semifinals and finals
      5. Other
  3. 2011 Pittsburgh Open Planning
    1. Fund Raising
      1. Goals
        1. Increase in Pot – Should considering increasing pot to $20k (change to fund raising effort with no change in tournament expenses)
        2. 3 Rivers Capital – Speak with Dale concerning desire to sponsor tournament next year and whether or not they would be willing to increase the funding (Tom)
      2. Timing
        1. Begin immediately in order to get into larger companies’ budgets for the end of 2011 giving
    2. Improvements
      1. Dates
        1. October/November/December timeframe
        2. Consider the weekend before Thanksgiving
        3. Review tournaments already listed on PSA and recommend a date(s) (Steve)
      2. Prize Money Format
        1. Format
          1. Contact PSA to determine the typical format of the prize money  (Steve)
          2. Consider cash, checks, travelers checks
        2. Tax Withholding
          1. Contact PSA to determine withholding requirements for player prize money, i.e., should 1099s be provided (Steve and Joe)
      3. Roles (see 2.c.ii)
  4. Team League Update
  5. Box League Update
    1. Box League Coordinator – need one so Tom to follow up with Wayne Scholar regarding role (Tom)
  6. 2011 Spring Tournament
    1. Scheduling
      1. February 18th – February 21st
    2. Director(s)
      1. Need to find a director(s) (Tom)
  7. Additional Items
    1. PSQ Teaching Pro
      1. New teaching pro at Pittsburgh Golf Club
      2. Need to email Kevin to confirm ability to teach nonmembers at club (Tom)
      3. Would like to introduce new pro and “re-introduce” Duilio through an email notification to PSQ
    2. Website
      1. Need a website coordinator (Tom)
      2. Need tournament pictures to add to website
      3. Should add a link to newspaper article
    3. Club Sponsorship
      1. Contact Duilio (1st), Beth, Maurice, George (Lafe)
      2. Prepare letter to request sponsorship (Lafe)
    4. IRS Status
      1. Tom received a letter confirming that the IRS has received the information and is working on it
      2. Need to scan and send letter to Joe (Tom)
    5. Alderdices Squash – T/H 3:30 – 5:00 (Beth)
    6. Next PSQ Board Meeting
 

Action Items: 

Action Owner Target Completion Date
Submit 2010 Buchanan Open scores to US Squash Carlos  
Consider Tom’s  roles and provide any feedback Board  
Solicit volunteer for each role as soon as possible Board  
Speak with Dale (3 Rivers Capital) concerning desire to sponsor tournament next year and whether or not they would be willing to increase the funding Tom  
Review tournaments already listed on PSA and recommend a date(s) Steve  
Contact PSA to determine the typical format of the prize money Steve  
Contact PSA to determine withholding requirements for player prize money, i.e., should 1099s be provided Steve & Joe  
Confirm Wayne Scholar as Box League Coordinator Tom  
Confirm 2011 Spring Tournament Directors Tom  
Investigate potential sponsorship of PSQ by squash company

- Contact Duilio (1st), Beth, Maurice, George (Lafe)

- Prepare letter to request sponsorship

Lafe  
Scan and send IRS letter to Joe Tom